Monday, November 15, 2010

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios


I ordered a basket of fruits and veges through Bountiful Baskets for the first time a couple weekends ago and in it was a bag of brussels sprouts, so I got on the internet and found what looked to be a yummy recipe...and it was! Chad and Troy even liked them too. I did make a few changes though. I cut all my brussels sprouts in half, which helped them steam better and took all the bitterness out. I also caramelized the onions in butter first, then added the vinegar. I was pleasantly surprised with how they turned out.


Ingredients:

2 pounds brussels sprouts (I don't know what my bag weighed but I used the whole bag)
1/2 c. unsalted butter
3 small onions, cut into strips
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. coursely chopped pistachios


Directions:

Place brussels sprouts in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 8-10 minutes or until tender yet crisp. Melt butter in deep skillet, ad onions and 3 tbsp vinegar; cook until onions brown. Add brussels sprouts, sugar and remaining vinegar. Saute over medium heat until lightly caramelized. Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with pistachios.

No comments:

Post a Comment