Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cowboy Caviar


This recipe is straight from Dad. I loved it at Christmas but hadn't made it myself until a few weeks ago. Jason and I seriously ate the entire bowl in one sitting, and I have made it about once a week ever since. We took it to our church retreat this past weekend, and it was gone within about 30 minutes. I imagine this would be good on top of a chicken salad (the dressing is amazing), but I never have enough left over to try.

Ingredients:
1 can corn, drained (I use about a cup of frozen corn)
1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (in a pinch, pinto beans or even black beans work)
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (in a pinch, a can of diced tomatoes, drained, works)
2/3 cup green onions
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 avocados, chopped (add right before serving)

Dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 t cumin
1/2 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 lime, zested and juiced

Whisk together dressing ingredients. Mix all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in dressing. Chill and serve with tortilla chips!

2 comments: