Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

So, since fall is finally here and last week was cold and rainy, I felt the need for something hot and comforting for dinner. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, modified it a little to what I had on hand, and have to say, I patted myself on the back afterward for a delicious dinner! So good and filling, you don't need much to go with it.

I made 4 individual pot pies (used small pie pans) or you can make one large 9 in. pot pie.

Crust:
I used 2 Pillsbury pie crusts... so easy and yummy.

Filling:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
3 c. chicken broth
1 1/2 c. chopped mushrooms
3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 C. cooked chicken, chopped (I put 2 chicken breasts in my small crockpot and cooked them
for a few hours, then shredded them. Perfect amount and EASY.)
2 carrots, finly chopped
1 c. chopped zuchinni ( or celery)
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 cup frozen peas
(You can pretty much use whatever veggies you like best)

* Either put one 9 in. crust down in bottom of pie pan, or cut and mold pieces of crust to fit small pie pans.
* Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
* In a large saucepan, melt butter. Blend in flour, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened. In a separate pan, saute mushrooms in olive oil, then stir into saucepan. Stir in chicken, carrot, zuchinni, and potato. Mix well and pour over bottom pie crust. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits (or design) in the top to allow steam to escape.
* Bake in the preheated overn for 30 min. or until pastry is golden brown, and filling is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment